The Digital Versatile Disc is a very popular storage device but it is very prone to damage. DVDs come in different forms like DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD5, DVD9 and so on. There are many files you can save on a DVD from a software program, audio files, data, or videos. Regardless of what is stored in this versatile device, they must be maintained properly so they can function as intended. It would be so disappointing to save data and later find out that you cannot read it because you neglected your disc.
But why do you need to back up a DVD? Just like CDs, DVDs get scratched, oily, or broken. Worse yet, they can get lost. Today, many people are serving video and audio content through personal computers and there is an increasing need to convert hard copies to soft copies. Also, the conversion of DVD files to fit into mobile devices has become a popular trend. Here, we will teach you how to save and backup your DVD the right way.
Related: – Click to see What is DVD5, DVD9, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD RAM, DVD DL, Blu-ray Disc
Method 1: Save the DVD content to a new blank DVD disc
In this method, you need a blank DVD and software to burn the disc. The blank disc must have a sufficient capacity and quality to accommodate the content you need to backup. To perform this task, you can use almost any DVD copy software. One of them is the 4videosoft DVD Copy which comes in both MAC and Windows version. If you don’t have a blank DVD at the moment, you can back up your DVD to an ISO image or DVD folder on your hard drive and burn it later. With 4Videosoft, you can freely copy DVD-RW, DVD-9, DVD-5, DVD-R DL, DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R DL, and DVD+R to a DVD disc. Whether you want to compress DVD-9 TO DVD-5, DVD-5 to DVD 5, or DVD-9 to DVD-9 in the ratio of 1:1, you may copy the entire content or a part of it with zero quality loss. Moreover, you can playback your video or ISO image after copying.
Features of 4Videosoft DVD Copy software
Before you learn the steps involved, here are some features of the software you should know.
- An intuitive and graphical interface
- 4vieosoft DVD copy is compatible with most DVDs, DVD players, and burners
- Backs up DVD movies to blank DVD and ISO image on a computer
- Burns local DVD or ISO image to another DVD
- 3 DVD copy modes: Main movie, full copy, and customize
- Copies without changing the quality of files
- Copies DVD to a DVD folder on hard drive or ISO image to be burnt later
- 5 options before making a copy: skip the menu and play the video directly, remove menu, remove multi-angle, play titles, and remove region code protection
- High copying speed
- Excellent output quality
- 100% clean without malware
How to copy your DVD to a blank DVD by 4videosoft DVD Copy
- Choose a source and target: from the Source dropdown list, choose one source. Once you load the source, specify the output by clicking on the ‘Target’. Save your file as the new DVD disc
- Select the DVD copy mode: choose among main movie (without the menu), customize (any DVD you like), or full copy (full features) modes
- Set the right options: click ‘Next’ and choose one of the 5 output options
- Start copying: click the ‘Start’ button and wait for a high-quality DVD copy
Method 2: Copy the DVD content to an ISO file.
If you want to back up DVD movies to your PC and watch later, saving them to ISO files is one of the best options. An ISO file is an identical copy of a CD or DVD. It includes the DVD images, audio, subtitles, videos, and so on. It is the perfect archive that allows sharing of DVDs without worrying about common damages like scratches. An ISO image may be created with any operating system but Windows require an extra program. Then it can be stored anywhere. To burn a DVD to an ISO file, you need DVD copy software. 4Videosoft can do the job and Aimersoft DVD Copy does well too. This software is compatible with MAC and Windows.
Features of Aimersoft DVD Copy
- Clones and copies DVD movies to DVD regardless of the disc format. it supports DVD-RW, DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, and DVD+R DL
- Burns DVD folders to blank discs
- Compresses DVD-9 to DVD-5 and splits DVD-9 to two DVD-5
- Compresses DVDs while retaining their quality
- Backs up a DVD to a computer hard drive as ISO files of a DVD folder
- Flexible copy modes: custom copy, copy without the menu, and copy the main movie
- Fast copying speed
- Easy to use
How to save and back up DVD with Aimersoft DVD Copy
- Install Aimersoft and launch it on your computer. You can have the Windows or MAC version software depending on your situation
- Choose the DVD source- DVD-ROM or DVD folder. At the DVD disc, select DVD-ROM if your computer has a DVD-RAM driver and insert your target disc into the driver. At the DVD folder copy ISO images from the DVD folder (click on DVD folder and check the pop-up window)
- Choose the target ISO. Click Target and choose the image file, DVD-RAM, or DVD folder. To back up DVD movies to ISO files, choose image file or the ISO option and specify the directory of the saved copy
- Select copy mode: main movie, custom mode, or full movie
- Start copying. Click the start button. The process ends in a few minutes
Method 3: Rip DVD to a video file
This is a great option for backing up video DVD. The above two methods can serve the same purpose but this one is even a better option for video DVD. once you rip the video, you can enjoy them on any device from iPhones, iPads, smartphones, Windows OS, Android tablets, etc. We introduce to you the very good software for ripping DVDs- ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate. The software helps you to create an SVCD or VCD and you can also rip the DVD to MP4 or other video files. Luckily, you don’t have to rip the entire DVD to a hard disc first with this tool in order to save the disc space, it has simple video editing function.
Features of ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate
- Uses high ripping speed
- Copies movies to DivX, AVI, VCD, SVCD, MPEG 1,2, and 4 etc.
- User-friendly navigation and flexible interface that makes it suitable for both novices and experts
- Guarantees excellent output effects
- Customization options: movie size, audio effects, frame rate, subtitle language, etc.
- Rips movie by chapter, entire movie, or a segment
- Preview option when ripping
- Allow batch conversion
Steps to ripping a DVD movie by ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate
- Load the movies
- Load the Video-TS IFO files located on your hard disc
- Load individual VOB/MPG files
- Select the input settings: If you have a PAL DVD, choose a value of 25. If the DVD is NTSC, test it between 23,976 – 29,97 by creating a small clip. In the volume settings, raise it to 5 or 10. Leave the DeCSS settings the way you found them.
- Save the DVD drive box in the RAM
- Select the right iDCT from the MISC box depending on your type of CPU
- Deinterlace filter and set it to none. In case the movie shows horizontal lines, change to Interpolate
- Click OK
- Set the output settings
- Click the red button to start encoding. Your videos will be ready for burning with any authoring program
With the three software programs, you can save your Windows DVD to ISO files, a blank DVD, or rip your videos to a computer hard drive in a simple process. Then you can enjoy your DVDs on any DVD player or television without worrying about scratches.
Top 7 best DVD Copy Software (PC|MAC)
Top 4 Best DVD Ripper Software ( PC | MAC)
Top 4 Best Blu-ray Ripper Software (PC | MAC)
Top 7 Best DVD Creator Software (PC | MAC )
Xilisoft DVD Copy software review
AnyMP4 DVD Copy software review
Aimersoft DVD Ripper software review
Tipard Blu-ray Converter software review
What is DVD5, DVD9, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD RAM, DVD DL, Blu-ray Disc