When receiving video files from other people’s devices or downloading from the web, chances are you will stumble on MKV files. What are these files and how do they differ from MP4? MKV means Matroska, which is a common HD video compression format. The most recent computers and devices hardly support MKV videos because they too bulky to play on smooth playbacks. Such heavy files may need extra apps or tools to play. Luckily, there is a simple solution to this: using a video converter. Normally, MKV has a flexible an open design. It stores typical multimedia files as an ordinary format. You may include limitless images, audios, and videos in MKV. Also, it can compress big videos into small ones. Unlike MP4, MKV offers an abundance of media experience, e.g. it saves all similar digital elements and it offers better qualities for videos, audios, and images.
MP4, on the other side, creates extensible or flexible formats including ordinary videos, images, and audios. It facilitates the merging of different multimedia streams into one file. MP4 is the most widely used format by media players. MP4 files are considered more user-friendly when it comes to uploading, moving, and copying. One of the biggest issues of MP4 is that it doesn’t meet high standards like resolution (the highest is 1440×1080). The audio codec of MP4 has low complexity and not very convenient. Luckily, you don’t need extra apps to work with the MP4 file format. Therefore, MP4 is very compatible with most devices and media players. If you love watching movies and playing games on such consoles as PS4, MP4 would be an ideal format. But if the quality of images and speed of video rendering are your priorities, you might want to have MKV.
As mentioned above you can always convert MKV to MP4 using video converter software. Some are free while others are paid for. Here are step by step guides on how to use 3 different video converters to change MKV to MP4 video files.
Use MediaCoder converter to convert MKV to MP4
If you are a video enthusiast looking for an effective software to convert MKV video files to MP4 or any other format, MediaCoder is an excellent choice. It comes with x64 and x86 installers so it can handle any format. Most of its features are found in commercial video converter only.
Features of MediaCoder
- A rich assemblage of transcoding framework for tuning and adjustment
- Uses segmental video encoding mechanism to enhance parallelization
- Converts most popular video and audio formats
- Enhances content through a number of filters
- 264/H.265 GPU accelerated encoding
- Multi-threaded and parallel filtering that unleashes multi-core power
This is how to install and start using MediaCoder:
- Download the software and make sure it is the latest version. Save the files in your computer’s desktop.
- Open the software and click on the ‘Add File’ button at the upper left corner. You’ll see an option to open the file. Choose what want to convert.
- At the upper right corner, select the output folder i.e. where your file gets stored after conversion
- To enable the video, click on the Video button and tick where necessary. If you skip this step, your file will not have the video. Choose the H.264 format and 2-pass encoding as the mode. 2-pass encoding is a better option than the regular single-pass.
- At the source tap, choose either Mencoder or FFmpeg. These formats are used to decode videos. Uncheck the Auto Select option and set the encoder as x264. Don’t change any other element and you’re good to go!
You may find the interface a little complex. It also lacks WYSIWYG and there is no way to modulate color saturation or brightness. One important thing o note is that you can only run this software on Mozilla Firefox browser and it is absolutely free to download.
Use HandBrake video converter to convert MKV to MP4
HandBrake is probably the most effective and of course the most popular software for video file conversion. This free software can convert videos from just any format to a wide range of supported codecs. Furthermore, it is a multiplatform as it has 3 versions: Mac, Linux, and Windows.
Features of HandBrake
- Title and range selection options
- QuickSync, Theora, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP8, and VP9 video encoders
- DTS-HD, and Batch Scan of encodes
- Chapter Markers
- HE-AAC, AC3, Flac, and MP3 audio encoders
- Grayscale, Denoise, Cropping and scaling, Detelecine, Deblock, Decomb, and Deinterlacing video filters.
- MP3 tracks, E-AC3, AC-3, TrueHD, DTS, AAC, and DTS-HD, audio pass-through
- Supports CFR and VFR
- Average Bitrate video and constant quality encoding
- Video preview and live static
Use the following steps to convert MKV to MP4 file with HandBrake.
- Launch HandBrake on our computer and click the source to open the MKV video you need to convert.
- Choose the output location for your converted file at the Output Setting button. Select MP4 for the Container.
- Make any adjustments to the size and quality of the final file. You may choose the preset features in the right column to make the process easier.
As the video conversion continues, you can control it at the lower left side of the screen. Before converting, you can only preview 10 photos only and cannot play the video. The time it takes to convert fully depends on your computer hardware, quality settings, and the size of your video. After conversion, go to the output file and watch your videos. Unfortunately, you cannot tweak the saturation or brightness of the pictures. While HandBrake offers cropping abilities on the dimension options, it lacks the WYSIWYG interface. Also, there is no option for trimming videos.
Use Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Wondershare video converter ultimate is a paid converter that offers spectacular features and more than 1000 video and audio formats of distinct quality, it is the most powerful video converter software you can search by Google. With this ultimate solution, there are no redraw problems, missing key frame, or crashes. Moreover, it guarantees 30X conversion speed than the free versions mentioned above. It is the best MKV to MP4 converter for Windows and Mac users.
Features of Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
- Supports more than 1000 formats
- Supports multiple Operating Systems
- Allows editing and personalization of files
- A versatile toolbox that integrates GIF maker, fix video metadata, cast video to VR, TV and screen recorder.
- Optimizes preset for almost any device
- 30 times faster than typical versions
- Burns video to a playable DVD with beautiful free DVD templates
How to convert MKV video to MP4 with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
- Start by installing the Wondershare on your computer. Choose your preferred language and read the license agreement that follows.
- Choose the destination of the folder
- Click Next and create a desktop icon
- Click on the Finish button
- Launch Wondershare software on your device
- Register your account and update, and save the settings
- Add files to browse the MKV files you need to be converted. You can drag them directly to the basic interface for conversion
- Choose the output format as MP4
- Hit the Convert All button or click Convert at the right
Within no time, you can view the converted videos.
With free MKV converters, you don’t have to worry about money but the video quality may be compromised. Free versions only support popular video formats but Wondershare (the paid version) supports over 1000 formats including AVCHD, AVI, MKV, etc. What’s more, it will allow you to burn video and edit them for a comfortable view. If you want to save time and obtain high video quality, make Wondershare your ultimate choice.
How to choose video converter software
Top 10 best video converter comparison and review (PC | MAC)
How to convert RMVB an RM to MP4 on windows and MAC-free and paid
How to convert AVI video file to MP4 on Windows and MAC – free and Paid
How to convert WMV to MP4 on Windows and MAC – Free & Paid
Firecoresoft Video Converter Review
iOrgsoft video converter review
Faasoft Video Converter software review
AnyMP4 Video Converter Review
Top 4 Best DVD Ripper Software ( PC | MAC)