What is an MTS file?
If you are one of the Sony, Panasonic HD camcorder users then you should be familiar with the MTS file format. But, if you are not then let us introduce to ‘.MTS’ file extension.
In a few words, MTS is a video file format. It is usually an HD video format. It is also compatible with Blu-ray disc. As this video format is specially created for some particular HD Camcorders (especially Sony and Panasonic), it is not fully compatible with most of the handheld devices. Even, some of the media players for PC can’t run this type of video files.
Thus it becomes problematic when you take a video with your camcorder and then you can’t run it on your PC or Smartphones. So, if you want to tackle this problem, you need to convert the MTS file into another video format which is compatible with almost all types of devices. Luckily, the famous and popular video format which is named MP4 is compatible with most of the devices till date. Let’s know more about MP4 files in the following section.
What is an MP4 file?
In a nutshell, MP4 is also a multimedia file which can store video and audio at the same time. And, the MP4 file is supported by almost all of the smartphones and media players available out there. Even, if you take a look at one of your videos from your smartphone or PC. Most probably, you will see that the video contains an ‘.MP4’ file extension.
Click to see What is MP4 in more details
Now, if you want to run an MTS video file on your PC or smartphones then your best bet is to convert it to MP4 files. In the next section, we will talk about how to do that.
How to convert MTS to MP4?
First and foremost, you will need a video converter software to perform the conversion. Now, as you may already know that there are thousands of video converter software available all over the internet. Thus, it is not possible to choose the best one that easily. To make it easier for you we have tested a lot of video converters in the first place. And, we have got our winners as well.
In this article, we will let you know about two video converter software which can handle the task of conversion very easily. Among them, one is free and another one is paid. On top of that, we will show you how to use both of the software to convert MTS files to MP4 files with a step by step guide. We will also tell you why one is better than the other. So, let’s jump in.
Related:How to choose video converter software
Related:All you need to know about video codec
Related:How to Choose the Best Video Format to Convert
Related:How to convert WMV to MP4 on Windows and MAC – Free & Paid
Method 1. Free: Use Handbrake:
HandBrake is one of the most popular free to use video converter software. It has some great features. Along with that, it is compatible with all of the popular operating systems. Although for a free idea converter it has some awesome features. But, it also has some serious drawbacks. We will talk about that later. First, let us show you how to use Handbrake to convert MTS files to MP4 files first.
Click to see HandBrake and more free video converter review and free download
Steps to follow:
- Download and install HandBrake on your PC.
- Run the HandBrake software on your PC.
- After opening the software, you will see the interface of the software like the below screenshot.
- Now, you should add the MTS file which you want to convert. You can do that in various ways. First, you can directly drag and drop the file or the folder to the middle of the screen
- Or you can click on the File button from the left sidebar. Alternatively, if you want to select a folder then click on the Folder button from the top left corner of the screen
- After that, a new window will open. From there browse to the location where the MTS file is located on your PC. Then click on the MTS file(s) and click on the Open button as well. In doing so, the file will be added to the HandBrake software
- And you will see the primary user interface of the software here. However, it is clear that the user-interface could be better
- Now, you will see that the output format will be automatically selected to MP4. So, you don’t need to change anything from there
- However, if you wanted to change the output file format then you can select any other format from the left hand side of the screen under the Presets section
- After that, you can add some extra adjustments to your video before converting. Let’s see what are those
- You can change the dimension of the video by clicking on the Dimensions button. With this function, you can crop the video. Unluckily, this software lacks the Trim feature
- If you want to customize the Filters then click on the Filters button. With this option, you can actually customize the frame rate. But, it would be great if we could add some extra effects/filters with this software
- To change the video settings or even if you want to optimize the video then click on the Video option. And then you can change the settings as you want to. Again, if you look at the video settings, you will see that there’s nothing available to enhance video quality by increasing or decreasing the brightness, contrast etc. which is not great to be honest
- Along with the video settings, you can also customize the Audio settings by clicking on the Audio button. With this function, you can add an external audio track to the video. You can also remove the audio track completely from the video. However, it can’t extract and save the audio track separately
- You can also add subtitles buy clicking on the ‘Subtitles’ button
- And lastly, if you want to create chapters on your video then you can click on the Chapters settings and do that
- If you are satisfied with all of the settings then you can take a quick look at the preview on the Preview section. But unfortunately, you can only see 10 images as a preview. This is a big problem when you are editing a video. Simply put, you cannot judge the output of a video by only looking at ten images
- Yet, if you want to watch a video preview you can do that by clicking on the Preview button from the top menu bar. There’s also a big caveat. The HandBrake does not have a built-in media player. So, you have to watch the preview on an external media player. We know that this is a very annoying situation. You don’t have any option to bypass this if you use Handbrake
- Now, if everything is OK. Then you can set the output folder by clicking on the Browse button from the bottom. From the new window browse to any folder where you want to send this file after the conversion and click on the Save button
- You can also enter a name for the output video file next to the Save as blank box
- And finally, click on the Start Encode button from the top menu bar to start the operation
- You can see that the conversion is in progress on the Progress bar at the bottom of the screen
- Additionally, you can stop or pause the operation by clicking on the respective buttons from the top of the screen
- That’s it when you see that the Queue is finished notification at the bottom left corner of the screen, then you know that the conversion is finished
Although this is a good free video converter software. It lacks a lot of additional features like the ‘Trim’, ‘Split’, ‘Merge’, ‘Watermarking’ etc. Also, it doesn’t come with the functions to adjust the visual quality of the video. Along with that, the complicated user-interface doesn’t help this software to a great extent.
Now that you know how to use HandBrake to convert MTS to MP4 files. We will show you how to do the same thing using another video converter software. The name of the software is Firecoresoft Video Converter. However, this software is paid. And, it has a lot of awesome features which cannot be found in any free software similar to this. We will talk about it in the next section.
Method 2. Paid: Use Firecoresoft Video Converter
To be honest, even though this software is not free, we can assure you that it is worth it. It is also compatible with all of the top operating systems like Windows and Mac OS. It is very easy to use. The user interface is great. There’s no complicated settings or configurations. You can use this software even if you are a beginner.
Want more best video converter?Click to see Top 10 best video converter comparison and review (PC | MAC)
Now let’s see how to convert MTS files to MP4 with this software.
Steps to follow:
- Download and install the Firecoresoft Video Converter on your PC
- Then open the software on your PC. It will look the image below. The first good thing we have noticed about this software is the user interface. You can see that there are instructions about the process of converting video available on the main window. It was a great addition. Surely, it would be very helpful for the beginner users
- To start the process, click on the Add Files button from the top menu
- A new window will pop up. You have to browse to the location of the file which you want to convert from there. Next, click on the MTS file and then click on the Open button from that window. The file will be added to the software
- Now, to choose the output format, click on the Profile button or the big icon from next to the video file
- In doing so, you will see a popup will appear with hundreds of different video formats to choose from. As you need to convert it to MP4 choose any of the MP4 formats from that list. However, if you need other video formats you can choose them too. You can convert any video files to over 200 video formats with this software. This is really huge compared to the free option we mentioned earlier
- Now, if you want to set the output folder, you can click on the ‘…’ icon from the bottom of the screen
- A new popup window will appear. You can create a new folder by clicking on the ‘Make New Folder’ button or just select one which is already there
- After that, if you want to make any adjustments or customize your video before converting you can do that too. There are a lot of customization options are available in this software. If you are trying a customization feature for the first time. You will get a notification. This is normal. Just, add a check-mark next to the ‘Don’t display again’ box and then click on the OK button. It will not appear anymore
- If you click on the Trim button from the top bar. A new popup window will appear you can trim the video by using the settings from this window. After finishing that, click on the ‘OK’ button to close the window. It is a very important feature to have if you want to make a long video shorter. Unfortunately, the free ‘Handbrake’ converter (which we introduced you in the previous section) doesn’t come with this special feature
- The next customization option is ‘Split’. This feature is very important if you want to create multiple videos from a single video. There are two options to split a video. You can either ‘Split by duration’ or ‘Split average’. Again, this feature is also not available in the free software ‘Handbrake’. After you are done using this feature, click on the ‘OK’ button to close the popup window
- You can also edit, enhance and make a lot of adjustments to your video. To do that, click on the ‘Edit’ button from the top. Another window will pop up. Where you will find 6 more settings to make adjustments to your video. We will cover all of them one by one next
- Crop: This is used to crop the video into different dimensions. You can also zoom a part of the video with this feature
- Effect: Using this option you can adjust the ‘Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation’ of the video. You can also add different types of other effects to the video
- 3D Effect: Truly, we haven’t expected for this feature to be available on a video converter. It is a unique yet excellent feature. You can create 3D effects using this feature. In another word, using this feature you can turn a 2D video into a 3D video
- Watermark: You can add watermark to any video using this feature. It can come in handy when you are going to share the video to the internet. You can use two types of watermark which are ‘Image and Text type’. Even then you can customize the position , transparency of the watermark too
- Transition: You can add two types of transition effects which are ‘Fade in and Fade out’
- Audio: You can customize the audio track of the video using this feature. It can come in handy if the video has a low volume. You can easily increase the volume with this feature. Plus, you can mute the video too
- Rotate: If you want to rotate the video then you can use the rotation setting icons which will be available next to the ‘Play/Pause’ button
- By this time, you might have already figured that out that most of these features are not available at all on the free HandBrake software
- Now, if you are ok with all of the settings, you can click on the big green colored ‘Start’ button. That will start the conversion process instantly
- You will be able to see the conversion is going on. You can stop the process if you want to by clicking on the small green ‘square’ button next to the video or the ‘Stop All’ button from the bottom
- When the conversion is completed. You will see a new notification will appear asking if you want to open the output folder. It depends on you if you want to open it or not
By this time you have learned how to convert ‘MTS’ files to ‘MP4’ files using the ‘Firecoresoft Video Converter’. Along the way, you have seen that this software has some useful features.
What if we told you that it has more features up its sleeve?
Yes. There are more features. And, we think we should mention those too. So, here we go.
- Download video: You can download YouTube videos using this video converter. If you click on the ‘Download’ button then a new window will appear. You can click on the ‘Paste URL’ button and then paste the YouTube video’s link there. Then click on the ‘OK’ button which will trigger the download process
- Prior to that, you can click on the ‘Settings’ button, if you want to change the quality of the video you are going to download. You can also change the download location
- Capture screenshot: You can take screenshots by clicking on the small ‘Screenshot’ button from under the preview section
- Merge: You can merge multiple videos to make a highlight or a compilation video
- Batch Conversion: You can convert more than one video at once
- Audio extraction: You can extract the audio track from any video to make a separate audio file
By this time, you can say that it is clear as daylight that the paid software Firecoresoft video converter is way ahead of the free software ‘handbrake’. Then again, the free software also has some of these features. On the other hand, it was very easy to use the Firecoresoft video converter because of its intuitive user-interface. Now, it’s your turn to give them a try.
How to choose video converter software
Top 10 best video converter comparison and review (PC | MAC)
How to convert RMVB an RM to MP4 on windows and MAC-free and paid
How to convert AVI video file to MP4 on Windows and MAC – free and Paid
How to convert WMV to MP4 on Windows and MAC – Free & Paid
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate Review
iOrgsoft video converter review
Bigasoft Total Video Converter Review
Faasoft Video Converter software review
AnyMP4 Video Converter Review
Top 4 Best DVD Ripper Software ( PC | MAC)